3/7/09

Dinner


Samuel Pepys said in his dairy-entry on the 9th of November 1665 : "Strange to see how a good dinner and feasting reconciles everybody."

Samuel Johnson - that well known British poet even went so far as to say that "a man is in general better pleased when he has a good dinner upon his table, than when his wife talks Greek." And is that not true!

When last did you invite guests to a really well prepared dinner party - nothing fancy. Just wholesome good food, pleasant company and a well laid table?

Not a dinner as we know it today! Where you can buy all the courses ready made! NO! Make a few simple dishes - but prepare them well. Use only the best ingredients and make everything from scratch - and see the appreciation in your guest's faces!

Our dear Mr Johnson knew what he was speaking about. Nothing treats guests as much as a well planned and thought-out dinner, a relaxing atmosphere, well set table. Candles, good conversation and linen napkins. That is the secret. And a few excellent dishes! Good wine - served in lovely glasses. And my favorite - an exquisite pudding! Something small but heavenly.

And so my dear Reader - I am now on my way to prepare dinner for my husband and me. enjoy your next dinner - and set a table - even if it is only for yourself!

P.S This picture was taken of the table I set at one of my dinner parties.

2 comments:

Linda S. Socha said...

AQbsolutely beautiful . All my favorite dinner colors! This is a great idea and a good reminder
Hope you weekend is filled with small pleasures
Linda

The Sunflower and Ladybird Company said...

Dear Linda, thank you for the comment! And I cannot agree with you more! Red is always beautifull! I hope you have a fabulous weekend!And lots of enjoyaboe dinners!